Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cooking

My grandmother, Vera Barwise (nee Murphy) used to often bake. Maybe something that came from living on the farm or would it have been from living through the depress?
Nana's recipe book began to fall apart so I bought her a new one to copy her recipe's into. However it is my mother's handwriting that is through the book and a few that I added to it over time.
Some of the recipe's are named from who ever gave them to Nana, Aunty Doll and her fried Mary are mentioned.
I remember Nana made her loaf one night and could not work out why it did not turn out as it should. I woke the next morning to the smell of her fruit loaf and when I went out she explained, " I could not sleep all night trying to work out what went wrong, then I remembered I forgot the carb soda. I had to make another one to make sure!"
I also remember the smell of porridge cooking on the gas, we still had the wood fire stove at home and the gas made the porridge smell different.
However it is one of the recipes in this book that has me fascinated, but I have to wonder about the instructions, I am guessing this is one that would have come from the farm but no evidence of it.

Pickles
8 lb of onions
2 lbw of cauliflower, beans & celery
4 lb of Tomato
12 green apples
3 lb sugar
1 gallon of Vinegar
1 oz tumeric
1 oz of cloves
1 oz of whole spice
1 cup of mustard
Method
Cut up vegetables over night. Next mooring drain then add vinegar, sugar, slice apples etc. Cook for 1/4 hour, then add mustards and flour. Cook 5 minutes.
Hmm, Mum had written this and I have to wonder if she had not taken a few shortcuts. Not sure how much flour is needed and I have never added flour to pickles before. Also does not suggest how many jars would be needed for this either, but I am guessing at least a years supply.
Oh and I did find my fail proof Christmas Cake recipe stuck in the back of the book, I knew I had saved it somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, don't remember any of nannas bakings. I vaguely remember the stove, an old tin or something? And yellow? Maureen should have some memories from the time she stayed at nannas for a few months, I was grade one then so Maureen would of been grade five nd should have some memory surely... .?

    ReplyDelete