Saturday, April 30, 2011

Weather

The weather in 2010 -2011 has been pretty remarkable all over the world. I guess it is not just the weather but natural disasters. Earthquakes, tornados, floods and it just seems it is one thing after another.
For the past 10 years we have been in drought, Lake Learmonth dried up years ago, followed by Burrumbeet and then Lake Wendouree. That was just within a quick drive foam my house. Lakes all over the country had dried up and even the Murray River. It was disastrous.
Then came the rain, trouble was someone forgot to turn off the tap, it just kept coming. In one way it was a good summer, we did not get the extreme heat we usually got but then we did get a lot of humidity which we were not used to.
So many towns were flooded out to the extreme and Queensland and Victoria took the brunt of the rains. Many people drowned and many left homeless. I had to leave work one day, after ignoring the signs to go in the first place, and a 12 minute drive took 2 1/2 hours to get home because all of the roads were flooded. Our house is up high so it was okay, but trying to get to it was the problem. It was during these times that we would get a months worth of rain in an hour etc. It was crazy.
That day I woke to rain, and knew it had rained most of the night. I checked the internet but nothing there to warn of any real flooding. I knew the forecast was not good but being the optimist I decided there was no reason to stay at home. I got around the corner and nearly ran into the head of a tree that had fallen across the road. Then noticed flashing lights ahead, a man ran up to me and informed me he had just crashed into another tree across the road, he then offered to get the tree I had almost hit off the road as well. I kept going.
I get to the railway station, it was still raining and then noticed the boom gates on the near by road were flashing but going up and down continually, still not taking the hint I got on the train to find it leaking down the window where I normally sit and the roof leaking onto the seat next to me. Instead of getting off, I moved seats. I finally got to work and called Frank.
"What are you doing at work, it is bucketing down here and the roads are being closed off!" I decided I had to get home before I couldn't get there. Getting back to Ballarat was fine, I grabbed a few groceries but then I had to try and get into Haddon. Most roads were blocked.
The first pic is Greenhalghes Road, it was taken from a distance but I was not sure what was happening and not willing to risk my car getting caught, the man behind me took the same hint and we both turned back to Ballarat.
Next was Carngham Road but there were signs up saying no through road. There were also a number of people ignoring these signs but I was not prepared to take the risk. Those cars may have been on the safe side of floods, I had to get through a long way.
I called home and Marc told me not to even try coming along the Western Highway as there was no way from there to Haddon to get through, he had tried it that morning.
I then tried the Glenelg Highway and travelled along there wondering where the best way would be. The radio said that Bells Road was closed so I passed that one. Then went through to Whites Road nearer Smythesdale. It wasn't until I turned into Whites Road that I realised it was prone to flooding most times. I went to have a look and sure enough the creek was now a raging river.
I turned again and headed for another road. Bianca Bone had turned up and suggested another route but then I don't know where she thought this river was going, but she was just sending me to cross it in another spot. As it turned out I believe it had by this time completely washed the road away.
I went back to Haddon Ross Creek Road and was able to get through but there was a river running along side of this road. I had never seen anything like it before.

I finally got to the Haddon Bridge only to find the Fire brigade there sweeping away debris and water flooding around the Bridge. I was told to go through and follow the white line. What white line? I asked then told just imagine where the white line would be. "Do you guys realise this is the only way into 
Haddon?" "yep!" 
but there was more to come, I got through but then had to get through Haddon School Road, not as bad as the other places but there was plenty of water.


I got home, 2 1/2 hours but I got home. I also got there easy compared to many. There were reports of people ignoring signs and getting stuck in high flood water. I think they just could not understand, after years of drought that when the road is blocked because of floods, it means you cannot drive through. What I have shown here is mild to what many people suffered and I still find it hard to comprehend what they would have gone through.
How did our ancestors cope with this type of disaster? I guess it was a lot different in many ways and in some ways easier and in other impossible. I do not remember any of this when I was young. I do remember there was a drought at one time and some heavy rain at the end, but it is funny it was like one shower and I believed the drought had broken, not sure how the rest of the state saw this.
I see myself as being very lucky at this time, we have avoided bush fires, but just, the flames could be seen through the bush as Frank and Daniel left the property, and the floods have slowed me getting home, although I had to stay in Melbourne one other night as all trains were out and the city was a nightmare. I just cannot imagine having to try and cope with major disaster as many have suffered no an hour's drive from me. I guess we just will if we have to.

1 comment:

  1. its been a long time since I have had to deal with any floods ......

    even driving in heavy rain and trying to cross bridges etc would be a nightmare, but you did it!

    ReplyDelete